Review Detail

Remote Monitoring & Management (RMM) C claimme 7704
Best bang for your buck RMM tool
Rating: 

Exec Summary: If you are an MSP, and want to improve capabilities, support customers more invisibly, speed up new client implementations (I just implemented a 80 seat client w/ the labtech agent doing most of the client side work), and reduce costs (toolset and labor), choose LabTech.

We've been on 3 prior RMM vendor platforms before switching to labtech. We don't tool hop too much, but we've been and MSP for 12 years now. The 1st tool was new, I mean Indian New in 2002 when we hopped on as the 1st MSP they had as a client. It was growing pains x 10 to say the least. We integrated another product that was later bought out by Dell that could never live up to the promise or price tag (amazingly they still sell this dog, at a very high price tag). After 3 years, there were finally some real alternatives out there and we selected a expensive, but capable product that served us well for about 5 years. We noted LabTech at a trade show in 2010 and followed up on the product, test drove it, and pulled the trigger early last year. After having used 3 other RMM tools (actually 5, but 2 predated the rmm term) in production, and test driving at least 5 other major vendors I think I probably know more about RMM tools than most anyone, if for no other reason than most MSP's haven't been around long enough to suffer through 3 major RMM tool migrations. I mean, it is painful to change, so most avoid doing so. Onto the review:
If i had to do it over again, we'd still go w/ LabTech, but I'd pay for their implementation team to do the install and deployment. I would also have gotten training earlier in the game than we did. LabTech does so much that it is hard to know where to start sometimes. The reason we changed was because of the vast capabilities. You don't really know how powerful it is w/ just a test drive in a test environment, you have to get it and use it supporting clients day in, day out. One of my employees is a Microsoft Scripting MVP, he can make this thing sing. If I had one gripe, it would be reporting. Now, the canned reports are fine, but the scoring methodology, depending on the report you use is, well, dopey. I'm actually on a support case now trying to figure out how to adjust things and get a more accurate summary of client statuses. That leads to discussing support. I've probably opened a dozen or so cases. Response is as expected, usually same day if I open a call soon enough. I have noted that support has improved over the 10 months we've been using labtech in production. So, kudos to their support team. There are growing pains to be sure, and LabTech is probably more bleeding edge that we'd like sometimes, but on the flip side, we see all sorts of capabilities that are just coming online w/ other rmm tools. It's worth the tradeoff. Other reviews talk about all sorts of errors, bugs, etc... Sure, we've even uncovered a few ourselves, but that is just RMM tools in general. None are perfect. My advice: Focus on what you need, then what you want. Oh, pricing: Very competitive. There are cheaper options, but so far, all the cheaper options are less capable. If you price shop the major rmm vendors, LabTech is actually towards the lower end of the scale. We have over 1000 machines managed by LabTech currently and will be buying more agents in the next month or two to handle additional customers.
TS
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 5 5

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account