Review Detail

Remote Monitoring & Management (RMM) C claimme 7488
Solid application. A tech's view
Rating: 

LabTech is solid. There is a bit of a learning curve, but honestly, that is to be expected by an application that allows you to get so incredibly granular in your customizations. The out-of-the-box setup allows you to use the default settings but expect to make changes if you want to maximize its capabilities to your environment. Setting up customers is fairly easy and the general mundane tasks are not an issue (RDP, VNC Eventlog views, etc.) once the agent is loaded on a station. The real power and learning curve comes in w/ monitoring, alerts, reports, Dataviews, scripts, scheduling, etc. This is the real value and separator of LabTech from my standpoint. It should be noted this RMM was written by techs for techs so if you are looking for a user-friendly environment you probably won't find it here. This is the Cisco of RMM (and who complains about how complicated Cisco can be. As a tech you just learn it, certify in it, and become an expert. It's just accepted that with complexity there's a learning curve.).

Tech support has been solid for me in the format I have used it. Most of my issues can be answered thru email and they get back to me within 24/48 hours. I have not had any problems that have needed any response quicker than that. Additionally, I have setup training time slots with my pre-determined questions and that has proven rather useful. Their techs have been thorough and well-informed.

Most of our clients (greater than 90%) have a Microsoft infrastructure. It is clear LabTech is catered to that environment. They do a solid job of BDR management and SNMP traps from printer manufacturers and Router/switch devices. All in all if you can accept that this is NOT the Microsoft of RMM but more like the Cisco of RMM then you will be on your way to mastering an extremely solid RMM tool. For your T&M clients you can show the value of your service and justify why it makes sense to move to a service agreement. For your clients already w/ a service agreement the reports allow you to justify your value month over month, and thanks to Microsoft always breaking things you will always have the work available to you.

My only request is that they make more of a commitment to properly accommodating the other platforms i.e. Macs and Linux. I'm still learning the application but am satisfied with where I am and its potential once I have it fully customized for our environment.
TR
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 6 6

Comments

2 results - showing 1 - 2
Ordering
Already have an account? or Create an account
November 24, 2012
Seriously? SNMP support for routers and switches? This is one of the biggest reasons we got Labtech and after 6 months of wrestling with support people we decided that we were not going to be able to use labtech to manage our snmp devices. We have a range of printers, routers, switches and ip phones from Cisco, HP, Netgear, Snom , Cradlepoint and others and perhaps with customizing the manufacture supplied mibs and lots of Labtech customization we could get this to work but we are a small shop and looking for something that is plug and go - so we can focus on our customers and business.

DZ
Dar Zuch

Notice: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in /home/442876.cloudwaysapps.com/zqvryfthhg/public_html/wp-content/plugins/jreviews/jreviews/services/authorization/discussion_permissions.php on line 80

Notice: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in /home/442876.cloudwaysapps.com/zqvryfthhg/public_html/wp-content/plugins/jreviews/jreviews/services/authorization/discussion_permissions.php on line 80

Notice: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in /home/442876.cloudwaysapps.com/zqvryfthhg/public_html/wp-content/plugins/jreviews/jreviews/services/authorization/discussion_permissions.php on line 102

Notice: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in /home/442876.cloudwaysapps.com/zqvryfthhg/public_html/wp-content/plugins/jreviews/jreviews/services/authorization/discussion_permissions.php on line 102
November 27, 2012
In reply to an earlier comment

At what stage were you getting stuck at? Were you not receiving SNMP messages at all or unable to decrypt them? Labtech is really not a plug-n-go type of application. When you go buy a hat that says "one size fits all" there's generally little complexity in that build. In the tech world that is just the opposite. Because Labtech attempts to be a "one size fits all" RMM, that generally comes with areas of great complexity and a learning curve. We are also a small shop and I'm nowhere near expert level on this thing, but my primary role is to master it and all other roles are secondary. If you don't approach Labtech with that mind set then you are treating it like a typical Microsoft Office application. Hopefully your sales rep did not give you that expectation in his pitch.
T
travisgreatsys-com

2 results - showing 1 - 2